This program provides an answer to Now What, or What Next?
You are either reading this section because you are newly diagnosed, or you have graduated from your treatment center, or your loved one is having or has had a cancer experience. You are looking for the next step, the what next, what can I do to help myself, what support can I give?
This therapeutic yoga program has been shown to assist people in handling the effects of chemotherapy and radiation, as well as to help make physical, emotional and mental gains following treatment.
CalmSteadyStrong(tm), arose out of a need to support people healing from cancer - whether in or out of treatment. After designing the 7 week yogaTHRIVE program for the University of Calgary (which has been studied since 2002), and training over 300 teachers to teach the program, Susi came to the stunning realization that while there was support, funds and infrastructure for people when they are sick; and support, funds and infrastructure for research, there is very little support for "now". Too often Susi and her fellow teachers heard from students "I fought this disease months, and when treatment was done my oncologist said "go live life". They'd continue their story by saying, " . . . I walked out the doors of the treatment center and wondered . . . now what? Why am I not as happy as my friends and family? What do I do now?"
This is where Susi comes in. She created the 7 week program that gently yet progressively builds mobility, flexibility, stability, strength, stamina, endurance, while at the same time developing ease, relaxation, calmness and the feeling of being centered. This program has been studied at the University of Calgary and studies have been published with participants reporting that following the program they are feeling stronger, experiencing less fatigue, having better mood and a better quality of life.
To be connected with a trained teacher in your area, or to book a session with Susi, please contact us by calling 403-229-2617.
Are you a teacher?
The Calm~Steady~Strong (tm) by Susi program ~ LEVEL 1 Training for yoga teachers is an opportunity for teachers to learn more about how to teach yoga to people who have had cancer and their loved ones.
Our aim is to give you the best training and follow up support so that you feel you can provide the best classes to the people you are teaching.
- The training is designed to help you expand your knowledge and expertise. You will:
- learn about the effects of chemotherapy and radiation, and the general physiology of someone who has had a cancer experience;
- learn how yoga works to improve the situation anatomically, physiologically, psychologically;
- learn how to modify the poses for physical issues both related and unrelated to a cancer experience;
- learn how to 'be with' and teach students who are experiencing psychological and emotional issues, like depression, which are related to a cancer experience. Hear from past participants and yoga teachers who have been involved in this program and the impact on their life.
The pre-requisite for the training is the Therapeutic Yoga Intensive. We are redeveloping this program and will announce details when they are ready. If you are interested in this program - please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.